On September 21, 1952, the Boston Braves played their last game at Braves Field. The Braves lost 8-2 to Brooklyn before 8,822 fans, their largest day crowd of the season. Braves Field was the home of baseball's National League's Boston Braves from 1915 to 1952. James Gaffney, the owner of the team at the time the stadium was built, wanted to see the game played in a wide open field conducive to allowing numerous inside the park home runs. The stands were mainly in foul territory, which left little in the outfield to which players could hit a home run into. The fences were over 400 feet away down the lines and nearly 500 feet dead to center making hitting the ball over the outer fences all but impossible.
Braves Field was the last and largest of the first wave of concrete and steel ballparks built between 1909 and 1915 and it seated 40,000 fans. It was also known as The Bee Hive (or National League Park, formally) from 1936-1941, a period during which the owners changed the nickname of the team to the Boston Bees.
The Red Sox played the 1915 and 1916 World Series at Braves Field since the seating capacity was larger than Fenway Park. The 1936 All Star game was played at Braves Field. The Braves lost to the Cleveland Indians in the 1948 World Series. After the Braves moved to Milwaukee just prior to the 1953 season, the stadium was sold to Boston University. The stadium was initially called Boston University Field and was later renamed Nickerson Field, where the newly formed Boston Patriots played from 1960 to 1962.
Photo below shows fans leaving Braves Field.
Braves pitcher Johnny Sain and Red Sox Tex Hughson meet at Braves Field before a preseason Boston City Series in the late 1940s.
Braves Field scoreboard.