To all our Mitchell & Ness blog readers -- below are some baseball trivia questions for you on this Monday morning. Grab a cup of coffee and let's see how much you know.
- When and where was the first World Series game played? Who that first game? The first World Series game was played at the Huntington Avenue Grounds in Boston on October 1, 1903. In that first game, the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Boston Americans (now Red Sox) 7-3. Pittsburgh went on to take 3 of the first 4 games. The Americans then went on to win 4 games in a row to take the series 5 games to 3.
In the photo below, fans scale the wall at the Huntington Avenue Grounds prior to game three of the 1903 World Series.
- Which MLB team once held spring training in Bermuda? They New York Yankees trained in Hamilton, Bermuda in the spring of 1913.
- What was the first team to win three World Series Championships in a row? The New York Yankees were the first to win three World Series in a row. They actually won four in a row in 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939.
- What were the first MLB teams to do their spring training in Florida? In 1913, the Chicago Cubs trained in Tampa, and the Cleveland Indians trained In Pensacola.
- Who scored the one millionth run in MLB history? Bob Watson of the Houston Astros scored baseball's one millionth run on a three-run home run by teammate Milt May on May 4, 1975. The Astros played the Giants on that day.
- What MLB team holds the record for most home runs in a game? The record is held by the Toronto Blue Jays who scored 10 home runs on September 14, 1987 against the Baltimore Orioles in Toronto. Catcher Ernie Whitt led the Blue Jays with three home runs.
- When was the All-Star game first played at night? The first game played at night was on July 13, 1943 in Shibe Park in Philadelphia. The American League won that game, 5-3.
- Who was the first player to have his signature branded into a Louisville Slugger Bat? In 1905, John Peter "Honus" Wagner was the first player. Honus was also one of the Hall of Fame's five original inductees in 1936.
- Who were the first two players to win the Major League Baseball's Most Valuable Player (MVP) award? Baseball's MVP award has been in existence since 1931. In that first year, Lefty Grove, a pitcher for the Philadelphia Athletics, won the award for the American League. Frankie Frisch, a second baseman for the St.Louis Cardinals, won the award for the National League.