On April 19, 1988 the Philadelphia 76ers retired Julius Erving's number 6 before a home game against the Milwaukee Bucks. While wearing number 6, Erving scored 18,364 points with the 76ers over 11 seasons.
Mitchell & Ness welcomes Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson to the Philadelphia 76ers! During the public press conference yesterday at the National Constitution Center, Bynum said, "My first experiences here have been so great. I'm really leaning toward making this my home."
Now go grab a Philly cheesesteak, lace up your sneaks, and let's do this! Go Sixers!
Let's talk Sixers. You can't deny it, the Philadelphia 76ers are on a roll this season! The Sixers' buzz increases with every game. All this love for the Sixers makes us reminisce of seasons past. Who was your favorite 76er from back in the day? Was it Maurice Cheeks? ... Julius Erving...Andrew Toney...Allen Iverson... Charles Barkley...Wilt the Stilt...Moses Malone?
If you can't decide, maybe some of the video highlights below will bring back some memories. Go Sixers!!
In honor of the Sixers and Timberwolves game tonight, we wanted to give you some trivia questions on the history of these two teams. Who are your favorite Sixers and Timberwolves players and why? And more importantly, who do you think is going to win tonight's game?
When was Minnesota's team officially named the Timberwolves?
- In 1986, Minnesota conducted a "Name the Team" contest and it was narrowed down to two names - the "Timberwolves" and "Polars." The team was officially named the Minnesota Timberwolves on January 23, 1987. The state of Minnesota has the largest population of timberwolves in the lower 48 states.
Which player representing the Timberwolves won the Slam Dunk contest at the 1994 NBA All-Star Weekend?
In what year did Kevin Garnett make his first NBA All-Star game appearance?
- Garnett made his first All-Star appearance in 1997. Shaquille O'Neal was originally supposed to play, however, due to an injury he had to back out. Garnett was selected to replace him in this game. In the 2003 NBA All-Star game, Garnett was named MVP, managing 37 points, 9 rebounds, 5 steals, and 3 assists.
Who wore number 3 after Stephon Marbury left for New Jersey?
Who was the last player to leave the original Timberwolves franchise team?
- Doug West. West was traded to the Vancouver Grizzlies in exchange for Anthony Peeler after the 1997-98 NBA season.
What was the name of the original franchise that eventually became known as the Philadelphia 76ers?
- The 76ers were originally known as the Syracuse Nationals, one of the oldest franchises in the NBA.
Which former Syracuse Nationals player became the first coach of the Philadelphia 76ers?
- Adolph "Dolph" Schayes became the 76ers first coach in 1963.
Who was the former 76ers player and coach who was the ABA's MVP in 1972-73?
Which 76er led the team in most minutes per game?
- Allen Iverson. Iverson played an average of 42.0 minutes per game.
Which team did Philadelphia beat in the 1967 NBA Finals?
- San Francisco Warriors. The 76ers won the series over the Warriors, 4-2.