Keith Hernandez made his major league debut with the Cardinals in 1974 appearing in 14 games. In '75 he made 64 appearances before becoming the Cardinals full time first baseman in 1976. It took a few seasons for Keith to really make a name for himself but it all came together for him in 1979.
While the Cardinals did not impress anyone in 1979 (they finished third), it was the breakout season for Keith. Check out how he finished the season:
- Co - league MVP with Willie Stargell. This is particularly impressive if you consdier that the Pirates won the World Series in '79 and the Cardinals finished third.
- First of five All Star appearances
- First of eleven Gold Gloves
- Led the NL with a Batting Average of .344
- Led the NL with 48 doubles
- Led the NL with 116 runs scored
Impressive. Here's the jersey that Keith wore while on the road during this memorable season.
Hernandez fans, pick one up this week while they're $100 off!
We know the clip below focuses on Keith as a Met, but how can we discuss Keith Hernandez and not include this classic scene from Seinfeld?