Week 14 was our unofficial barometer as to when we can start speculating on whether or not the Saints and Colts might finish the regular season with perfect records. Now that they both survived this weekend unscathed, let the talking begin.
We always look at things from a historical perspective around here, so let's learn a little more about the previous five teams that made it to 13 - 0.
- 1934 Chicago Bears - In 1934 there were only 13 weeks in the season so this team headed into the championship with a perfect record. Coached by George Halas, and led on the field by Bronko Nagurski, the Bears faced the Eastern Division Champion NY Giants for the Championship. The game was played at the Polo Grounds on an ice covered field. At halftime the Giants changed their cleats and the better footing gave them enough of an advantage to give them the victory. Final score Giants 30 - Bears 13. No perfect season for the Bears.
- 1972 Miami Dolphins - The team that all perfect seasons are measured against. The Don Shula led Dolphins finished the regular season with a perfect 14 - 0 record. Their closest margin of victory came against the Bills when the Dolphins squeaked out a 24 - 23 win on October 22. In the Super Bowl the Dolphins faced the Redskins and took the championship with a 14 - 7 win. The Dolphins finsished the entire season with a record of 17 - 0. The greatest team of all time?
- 1998 Denver Broncos - The Broncos headed into week 15 of the regular season with a 13 - 0 record. On December 13th, Mike Shanahan and the Broncos faced the NY Giants at Giants Stadium. The Giants were struggling with a record of 5 - 8, but managed to put together a solid game and defeat the previously unbeaten Broncos 20 - 16. The losing continued for the Broncos as they dropped another game the next week, this time to the Dolphins, 31 - 21. The Broncos went into the playoffs with a 14 - 2 record and breezed through the playoffs finsishing off the season with a Super Bowl victory against the Atlanta Falcons. Final record, 17 - 2
- 2005 Indianapolis Colts - The Colts faced the same fate as the 1998 Broncos. They headed into week 15 with a perfect record. But on December 18 the Chargers put an end to their pursuit of perfection with a 26 - 17 victory. Like the Broncos, the Colts dropped the next game, 28 - 13 to the Seahawks. The Colts struggles continued and they lost in the first round of the playoffs to eventual Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Final record, 14 - 3.
- 2007 New England Patriots - This one's recent so you should know that the Patriots finished the season wtih a perfect 16 - 0 record. Their pursuit of a perfect season was halted by the Giants in the Super Bowl, when David Tyree made "the catch." Final record, 18 - 1.
So, to really set a new record, the Saints and/or Colts have to win out the regular season and go on to win the Super Bowl. The 1972 Dolphins are still the only ones who have accomplished that feat. We can't wait to see how this plays out, how about you?